F150 TURNING SIGNAL LIGHTS

1999 Ford F-150

1999 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 163000 miles

Had intermittent problems with both left and right turn signals. Changed multifunction switch and then changed flasher relay. Bought 2nd new flasher relay and put that in thinking the flasher must be the problem. No blown fuses. Bulbs work for hazard circuit. I get one or two clicks at best and then nothing. Possible open circuit? But the socket connections and wires in the flasher circuit do not appear to be corroding. My owners manual lists no other flasher relay for signal lights in the power distribution box. Haynes manual exterior lighting diagram shows a blower/flasher relay block, but my flasher plugs into a block with the hazard relay just to the right of the steering column. Help
Joedesiato

Ok I show a blower flasher relay block behind the center of the dash. But you say that you have flashers in the fuse block. What is the prodution date of you truck. Month and year. Have you checked the brake lights do they work as they are tied together. Thanks.

Racefan966
I had almost the same problem on my 1998 f150 right turn signal stoped working. Instead of teling you a long story about lots of time spnt this is what I found to be my problem. The tilt steering had broken one of the wires a short way back from the multifunction switch. Found out later this is one of the common problems.

Pyroseeker1
Brake lights work fine. Truck manufactured in march 1999. Flasher relay sits next to hazard relay to the right of the steering column, by themselves, not in the " fuse block" (I can feel each one click as I engage the turn signal or hazard. Is there another relay I'm missing. Taking the entire center dash off is a pain but I'll have to do it. Haynes manual lists the blower/flasher relay on elec. Diagram and says it's located behind center dash but doesn't show picture. (This interested me since my blower fan just quit amidst this turn signal nightmare.) All I know now is when I try to follow the wires out of the flasher relay they go toward the center dash as they disappear from my sight with my head wedged next to the gas pedal. Am I gonna find another relay or link in the turn signal circuit if I dismantle the dashboard?

Joedesiato
Thanks for writing. This was the first thing a mechanic buddy of mine suggested when I told him the problem. Did you " see" signs of the wire break(insulation cracked, black stuff from arcing, exposed wire, etc.) My diagnostic equipment consists of a test light, a voltmeter, and two marbles rollin around in my head. I'm guessing if I can't see the short, I'll have to wiggle jiggle or use needlenose pliers to push the wire back up into those gray sockets that plug into the multifunction switch.

Joedesiato
I have a 1998 and that is correct the is a flasher in the center of the dash its kind of hard to get to and has a black cover over it and another type of relay also replaced this flasher think it was abouth 12-15 dollars. It was very hard to get to mine is almost in line with the steering.

Pyroseeker1
When you unplug the harness from the multifunction switch look at the connection point on the switch mine was broken off in the switch and I was able to remove the one wire connector and solder it back. I also took a meter and checked the switch the haynes manual has all the volts each should have.

Pyroseeker1
Hey joe dont get lost in some of my key strokes more often my head gets ahead of my excellent typing skills. However the problem you are having drove me crazy for over a year. I just happened upon your topic looking on here for info for a easy fix for air pocket in my cooling system.

Pyroseeker1
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the flasher/hazard is located in a difficult spot. Center dash seems a little vague, though(thanks, Mr. Haynes) Unfortunately, though, your problem was not the same as mine. Both my left and right flashers do the same thing. Nothing. They both work intermittently. One day sitting in the truck with the ignition on and the signal switch engaged I got nothing for a half hour, then out of the blue, the flasher operated properly for 5 clicks without me touching anything, then stopped again. I bought another flasher and got the same intermittent activity with left and right signals. Sounds like an open circuit/ground short. Right! At least you didn't start throwing parts at the problem like I did. Mulitfunction switch and 2 relays was over 100 bucks. Appreciate your help.

Joedesiato
So are you turn and flashers working correctly now?

Racefan966
No, but I've pinpoint the problem area. I started to pull, probe and tug the 4 wires coming out of the relay socket and got the flasher to work momentarily. Now all that's left to do is take the steering column dash off so I can remove the flasher/hazard relay bracket. Then maybe I can pinpoint the exact loose wire and clean up that connection. Ford does not make it easy to access this. I wonder why?

Joedesiato
Page 1 of 2