OXYGEN SENSOR REPLACEMENT LEADING TO CATAL

2001 Toyota Rav4

Computer problem
2001 Toyota Rav4 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 86000 miles

Hi- My check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer. They gave me a code 551 for O2 Sensor. They said they can replace it for $350. But warned me that they might have a problem getting it off without stripping (?) Or damaging (?) The catalytic converter. If that happened, they said, the cat converter would also need replaced ($1200 total). OUCH! So, as expected, they tried to remove the sensor and decided to stop because it felt like it was leading to the catalytic converter damage situation. Since the job would take 3 hrs and they weren't able to do it that day, they stopped and had me make an appointment.
I searched the web a lot and don't read anything about this happening. Can someone pls tell me if I'm about to get ripped off? I just moved to a new city and dont know anyone reputable.
KittyLover

Yes removing the oxygen sensor can destroy the tread and depending of the location lead catalytic converter replacement. it is not a rip off.
but if you want to do it yourself,
The first thing you need is an oxygen sensor socket. get it at autopart store.
You’ll also need a can of rust penetrant. I recommend CRC brand FreezeOff. Why? Because the best way to free up the sensor is to start the vehicle and warm up the exhaust. Get it warm,Then spray on the FreezeOff spray. That will chill the warm metal and “shock” the rust.

the tool look like this.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46384_this_3.jpg

Mathiaso