TRUCK

1987 Toyota Pickup

: idea: I recently bought this pick up from my employer. It was running really good and then started acting like it was running out of fuel like it had been doing on and off lately but not to this extreme. (Fuel gauge does not work) So I filled it up. It spit and sputtered and coughed black smoke and then ran ok again. Went about 4 blocks turned off and then it did it again. Will start, sputter black smoke, and die. New tune-up/timing seems on/clean older motor of approx. 245,000 miles/22R/misses on 2/auto w-overdrive/no leaks. Replaced new cap, new cap had grooves in 2 of the knubs. Did not replace new rotor though. Can anyone HELP me? : Roll: ?
Rie

Its running to rich.
Check the carburetor.

Fisherman
: ) Thanks Fisherman. I will give it a try as soon as I can get back out to it. Let you know if it makes a difference. THX again : : )

Rie

Rie
There is a neoprene flap with a spring that pushes extra fuel when you need it. It is vacuum actuated. When this diaphragm perforates, it leaks into the vacuum system and makes you run rich. I got mine from the dealer for 25.00 stopped the run rich problem, no more black smoke.

Good Luck!

Plainman98
Its soung like a choke plate is binding or the Vacuum break is not pulling it to the initial point creating the loading of fuel.

You need to adjust the choke and fast idle cam
Further check out the Thermostatic Air Cleaner system Hot and Cold position.

22R Engine, easily converted to 22RE set up

Thank you very much rasmataz! I will try it out!

[quote=" rasmataz" ]Its soung like a choke plate is binding or the Vacuum break is not pulling it to the initial point creating the loading of fuel.

22R Engine, easily converted to 22RE set up[/quote]

Rie