'BROKEN SPRING' ON BOTTOM 'ASHTRAY' UNI

2006 Toyota Corolla

Interior problem
2006 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

My bottom 'ashtray' compartment on the centre column doesn't snap closed. It seems a spring or something is broken.
It is most frustrating trying to keep it closed, because it immediately drops open when I accelerate the car.
Is there a way to repair this?
The dealer says it's a $200 repair!
Thank you for any advice.
Dave
DaveHoff

If it is a complete ash tray assembly that is required, I would go look in the wreckers yard for one, this will be so much cheaper.

Mhpautos
Dave- what did you end up doing to fix this? I do not want to spend that much money. I am fairly handy and can fix it on my own if it is not too difficult.

Gjm25gregg
To clarify, I have the same problem as you did. That is why I asked.

Gjm25gregg
Hi gjm25gregg,
I've simply lived with it. My wife now drives the car, and she's put her glasses case in it, which keeps the door from rattling around. I may go to a wrecker when the weather warms up.

DaveHoff
To mhpautos: please explain how to take off the ashtray and put in a new one. Thanks

Qazwsx
Loft out slide tray as if to empty and look up under the top, there are 2 screws there and on some there is a third at the rear, it should be quite straight forward.

Mhpautos
Can you please attach pictures. I don't know how to empty the ashtray. Thank you

Qazwsx
I have no pic, but just depress the top cover that is spring loaded and pull out.

Mhpautos