AIR CONDITIONER COMPRESSOR CLUTCH WON'T

2003 Toyota Corolla

Air Conditioning problem
2003 Toyota Corolla 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 75000 miles

Hi-
A/C compressor works and cools when jumped, but won't engage when asked. Freon good, fan and idle runs up when asked, no compressor. Pressure switch? Is fitting protected- schrader valve? Any advise appreciated.
Robin profenius

Hi there,

it sound as if the pressure switch has cut in, so I would go get the system pressures tested as this will give your tech a good idea as to what is going on.

Mhpautos
Hi- thanks for your fast reply- my tech ( without much toyota experience) checked charge while the compressor was jumped to engage. It was cooling well and the freon was charged. It will raise idle and react to A/C button, but won't engage A/C clutch. No fuses appear blown.

Robin profenius
Hi there,

He will need to check that the pressure switch has not activated, bridge out the switch and see if that turns on the system, if so a pressure or switch problem, if not a power supply issue to the compressor, check this next.

Mhpautos