OIL LEAKS

2001 Toyota Camry

2001 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

For about a year and a half now the car has slowly been leaking more and more oil (it's up to about a half quart a week now). I had a friend (who tinkers as a mechanic) look at the car and he stated that it could be the master seal that joins the engine with the transmission (?) And that if I can find someone to do it under a thousand bucks that I should take that offer because its a good deal. Is that really a good deal and should I do it? OR will that just cause more problems by taking out the engine to get to the seal so I should just keep putting in oil every week? Is there anything else that it might be?
SWILSONS

Hi SWILSONS,

If the leak is between the tran and engine, then it should be the flywheel/drive plate oil seal.

Usually the leak should not be too bad, unless the seal has been dislodged, it can happen when it hardens up and shrinks. If that happens, you risk losing oil very fast and might cause engine damage.

The seal should not cost much but the labor, I do not know. I do not have the book time, you need to remove the trans to do the job.

Is there any other leakages?

Nope, the only leak is at that exact point that you described.

SWILSONS