ACCELERATION HESITATION

2001 Toyota Camry

2001 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 90000 miles

When I try to accelerate, after stopping at a red light for example, sometimes, but not always, the car lurches from once to several times and will only stop if I let up the accelerator.

Same with climbing a hill, even without trying to accelerate. Overall, worse with the A.C. On.

The absolute worst is when resuming speed after being on cruise control. For example, even on a level road, if I'm cruising at 50, brake down to 45, then resume cruise control, the car almost shudders (lurches about twice a second) until it's back to 50 again.

This has been going on for several months. I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced; that made no difference whatsoever.

Interestingly enough, the lurching is minimized somewhat the harder I try to accelerate.

Thanks very much for your response.
Shimondi

Has the check engine light come on? If not, we need to check fuel pressure, and make sure the catylatic converter isn't plugging up.

Let me know what you find.

Wow, that was a fast response.

I forgot to mention that the engine light does NOT come on.

I myself would not be able to check either the fuel pressure or the catalytic converter but the mechanic who changed the timing belt suggested that it could be the c.C.

Thank you.

Shimondi
It could be the converter. He can check exhaust back pressure to make sure. Also, I have seen them glowing red hot when they plug. At night, after driving it, look under the car with it still running to see if it's that hot. If it is, it's plugged.