FALTERS (HESITATING) WITH GENTLE GAS BEING APPLIED

2001 Toyota Camry • 146,000 miles

I am so frustrated, I've always had my car dealer maintained, and now after 3 trips to them, they cannot determine what is wrong with it. The 2nd trip was just a bust because they couldn't duplicate the faltering.

Details: Slow/gentle gas causes car to falter.

When the engine is warm, it falters when leaving a stop and only with low/ gentle gas being applied. It is a very noticeable falter, even when traveling at 40-50 MPH, when I apply the gas pedal gently just to maintain that speed, I can feel it faltering. However, when I take off from a stop with umph or give it steady and strong gas at higher speeds - no faltering.

It has never stalled or not wanted to turn-over/start.

What the dealer has done to date: cleaned the EFI twice Oct 11 and Mar 12; replaced the fuel filter; replaced the air filter twice Oct 11 and again last week Mar 12; top engine cleaned to include the throttle body; flushed the transmission fluid; repaired transmission cooler line (it was leaking).

I purchased the car new. Other than this issue which only started last Sep, it is a great and reliable car. I hope to have it for another 150,000 miles.

Appreciate your time and help!
Cathy7

When was the last time you had the timing belt changed?

Hi Roy,
The timing belt was replaced in 2009.

Cathy7
How many miles? It is a 80-100k service.

It has 146,000 miles now. When the timing belt was replaced it was probably around 125,000 or so.

Cathy7
Ok, I suggest another shop to look at this. They need to start from square 1. Compression test, fuel pressure test, looking at all the sensors related to the performance of the motor.

Thanks Roy, I truly appreciate your time and recommendation.

We have 2 Toyota Dealerships in town, I will take it to the other service dept and will provide them with your suggestion.

Would a failing catalytic converter cause these symtoms as well? It is still the original one. I read elsewhere about a failing O2 sensor and throttle position sensor can cause hesitation.

Cathy7
If the cat was bad, it would do it all the time.
The other sensors would throw a code.

Ah so. No codes have come back indicating any issues - as far as I know. I'll keep you posted on the outcome of them just going back to the basics as you suggested.

I truly appreciate your help!

Cathy7