HESITATION WHILE DRIVING IN RAIN AND MIST

2000 Toyota Camry

2000 Toyota Camry 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

My 2000 Camry V6 started doing a very short and sudden hesitation while driving at full speed. It seems to only happen when the pavement is wet or there is a mist in the air. When the conditions are right it will happen every 5 minutes or so. And it's getting worse. In dry weather it drives perfectly.

The car has traction control so I experimented switching it off. It seems to happen less (maybe) when traction control is off but it still happens.

Turning off overdrive seems to do the trick.

Any clue what could be happening? My guess is a bad wheel sensor but then why would turning off overdrive solve the problem?
Bmichaud

You hit the magic # 100000 miles
the engine need to be tuned
have it check for a tune up and make sure you check the wires too
As for traction control, the system depend on a fine tune engine to operate
and for the over drive you are running the engine harder to maintain the speed
its is happening but you are feeling it yet
do you have check engine light on and if so you need to scan for codes
most likely you will fine a misfire codes

BMRFIXIT
The check engine light is not on and has never come on. The V6 is very powerful and is purring when going 60 miles/hour. I've driven it harder and softer without a problem.

I don't think it's a tuning problem but I'll put that in the plan since it's not a bad thing to do anyways.

I'm 99.9% sure that this is a hesitation caused by the transmission. Not an engine hesitation. The hesitation feels exactly like hitting the " overdrive off" button twice in rapid fire. You know the momentary loss of power when the transmission goes out of overdrive.

Another note: the traction control light doesn't come on when it happens.

Bmichaud
I still think you should consider having it checked for a tune up too
you need a fine tune engine to run the tranny

good luck

BMRFIXIT