POWER STEERING LEAK

1996 Toyota Camry

Steering problem
1996 Toyota Camry Automatic

I have a slow leak in my power steering. I have been added fluids to the car every 2 weeks. I took it in to the shop today and first they told me that everything was leaking the oil, power steering, radiator and also the trasmission. Then I was told that I had too must oil on the bottom of the car and they had to clean it to be able to tell me pinpoints $50.

Now after that they told me that the power steering in leaking from the Rack and pinion and I need it replace est. $900. Do that should right? I heard the tech tell someone else that he couldn't pinpoint were the power steering was leaking so I would have to replace the whole thing.

Also they said that the valve cover to the gasket was leaking oil est. $170? I haven't noticed any oil leaks is that uncommon? Could this be something I can do on my own?

And lastly he told me that me Constant-velocity axle on the front driver side needs to be replaced it has a tear in it est cost $280. Do that sound about right?

I was layed off in October and I start a new job on Monday and I wanted to get the car in good working order but at this time I don't have the money to get it repaired. What can I do.

Ageorges1

Its all about the right, give or take a little
if you don’t have the money for it know do what is important
I would start with the axle
keep on adding fluid until you are in a better shape to get it fix or take another step
good luck

BMRFIXIT
IF you have any knowledge of Cars then yes you could replace the valve cover. Granted this a difficult task because if its not done right then your looking at some serious maintenance. BIG BUCKS! But I suggest if you wanna save a couple of dollars then buy the repair manual and follow it to the letter. As for your rack and pinion question. I seriously suggest you get a couple more opinions and shop around. I'm sure you could find someone cheaper than that.

Booskabear