; REMOVING DRUMS

1995 Toyota Camry

Trying to remove the rear drums to inspect brake shoes. Tapped with hammer, tried some light prying.
No luck. What do I need to know?
Nespej2001

G'day nes make sure the handbrake is not on. Spray some wd 40 on the axle to drum interface in the centre of the drum and get a bigger hammer. Good luck with it mate : D

Francis 180
There's a hole behind the backing plate-remove the rubber you can see the starwheel reach in there with a small skinny s/driver and contract the shoes-then bang on it again it should come off.

Look on the face of the drums, there should be 2 sm. Threaded holes a few inches out of the center. Thread a cap head bolt, mine were 10 mm or so, (try several different bolts to get the correct threads). They do not have to be very long, 2-2.5 in about right. After u make sure all ur brakes are off (see other posts) take turns screwing in each bolt, and they will push ur drum off as easy as u please. No banging!
I have keep a coupe of these in my tool box for several decades. Worked on all Honda, Nissan, Toyotas w/ drum brakes i've owned. Javascript: emoticon(': )')
Pgjon

Pgjon
Took the advice of pgjon and bought to 8mm bolts. Threaded them in and the drum popped right off. Thanks alot.
Nespej2001

Nespej2001