AC WORKS FOR 20 MINUTES.

1993 Toyota Camry

Air Conditioning problem
1993 Toyota Camry Front Wheel Drive Automatic

Hi
My wifes car - 1993 Toyota LE V6 - with about 80,000 miles on it, runs really well. It is serviced at a dealership every time service is due.

When we turn on the A/C it will put out cold air (as it normally did) for about 20 minutes. Then if we just leave the A/C running (with the windows down to cool ourselfs off) In about an hour it will start putting out normal cold air - for about 20 minutes.

The dealer gave it a freon charge and sent us on our way - didn't help.

I have experence working on my own cars - about 40 years. Could you tell me what I could check. I have the shop manuals. Dealership said it would cost $1700.00 (without looking at the car.)

Thank you for any help you can give.
Stan
Sidneythecat

Hi Stan,

When the AC stops cooling, is the compressor working?

Are the radiator and condenser fans working?

You might need to check the thermistor.

I hadn't but I will. I will let you know what I find.
Thanks for the fast reply - I didn't expect it.

Stan

Sidneythecat
Sorry for taking so long to reply to your advice.

The only thing I haven't been able to check is the thermistor. Can you tell me where the plug connector for it is located?

I wanted to disconnect it and measure the resistance, while the a/c is running. I can put a resistor across the connection on the engine side so the a/c will continue to run.

Thanks,

Stan

Sidneythecat
Hi Stan,

The thermistor coupler is somewhere between the evaporator and radio panel, behind the glove box.

Are you able to control the temp setting and does it work with a higher setting, ie above 20 degrees?

" Are you able to control the temp setting and does it work with a higher setting, ie above 20 degrees?&Quot; Could you expand on this - I don't understand the '20 degrees part'? Do I need to measure temp?

Sidneythecat