HELP IS THIS A GOOD DEAL

1998 Subaru Legacy

1998 Subaru Legacy 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 100, 00 miles

I have a 98 legacy wagon, 100k took it to a new mechanic. He said he will fix the following for $1500

Front CV axels (boots torn)
T-belt (never done)
Waterpump
Power Steering Pump Reseal
Oil leaks (minor right now, he wants to reseal the engine)
Head Gaskets (Doesn't Need yet but he suggested it since he was doing the oil leaks anyway)
All new fluids

What do you think is this overkill? Is it a good price?

My plan is to keep the car at least another 1-3 years so I dont mind putting the work into it just dont want to get ripped off.
Bettyboarder

Hi Bettyboarder,

Thank you for the donation.

At 100k the timing belt is due for replacement and the water pump would be recommended to be replaced.

To get the correct pricing, the engine type is required.

Is the engine 2.2 or 2.5 L?
The head gasket mentioned, is it just the valve cover or head gasket and is it for both sides?
Front CV axles, joint or only boot replacement?

It's a 2.2L motor, automatic.

He was thinking because of the oil leaks (he would be taking the motor out to fix them) it would be good to do head gaskets on both sides. He said it would save me money in the future.

The boot is torn on the one side so he suggested doing both axels.

Bettyboarder
It is definetly a good idea to have the head gaskets done. I have the same car only mines a sedan and its manual. I have oil leaks as well but so minor they dont reach the ground. If thats how yours are I wouldnt worry about them. You can run a subaru with no oil in the engine and still be fine although I dont suggest that. As for the t-belt waterpump ect have that done with the head gaskets for that price is more than work it. If the one boot is torn have them replace that axle because its cheaper than doing the joint. If the other side isnt torn there is no reason to other than too be cautious. Hope Ive been a little bit helpful : )

Meeper0701