TIMING BELT

2004 Subaru Forester

2004 Subaru Forester 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 105361 miles

My dealer is telling me that at 105k, the timing belt needs to be replaced. They said that when they replace the belt, they replace the belt and the tensioner but that is all. I have a mechanic who will replace the belt cheaper than the dealer but he says that I should also replace the water pump. The dealer when I asked said that the water pump on subarus is usually good and it's mostly on GMs that the water pump needs replacing then. Who is right here?

Thanks!
TeacherL

Well, here is how I do it.

If the timing belt needs replacing and the Water Pump is run by it, I won't do the job unless I replace the water pump. There is no sense in doing one and then possibly having to pay the same labor again to have the other done with a few of months.

This is how I look at the water pump and replacing the timing belt. The timing belt has stretched over the years and mileage, which in turn reduces the stress and tension on the old water pump. So, when new belt is put on it will create more stress and tension on the old water pump which will cause it to fail within about 6 months or less.

So, I feel the dealer is trying to make some extra money by only doing the belt and hoping within the next couple months or so you will need to water pump done.

Also I would make sure that all timing components that can be replaced are.

.

Obxautomedic