SPARK PLUG TUBE GASKETS

1995 Toyota Corolla • 175,000 miles

Hi mmprince4000:

I just finished my first valve cover last night and I have a few questions about completion.

1) Lost a nut to the bay/ground (the one next to oil cap). Partially torqued the three to 35. Is this OK or will that warp my cover? When I get the new nut can I just add it or do I have to pull cover and start over?

2) Spark plug tube seals - How do I check if they are installed properly before I power up? If I need to redo these I want to know before I get oil everywhere. Tried replacing one boot and it fit tightly but I don't know if that's conclusive. One of these (#4 in pic) is installed slightly deeper than the others.

3) One of the humps (left) did not seat in the VC but the gasket fit perfectly otherwise. I was hoping torquing would resolve it but I don't know for sure.

http://imageshack.us/a/img29/2038/p1030926001.jpg

Seals 1-3: Tube Sits Above Seal
http://imageshack.us/a/img822/7079/p1030934s.jpg

Seal 4: Tube Sits Nearly Flush to Inner Ring
http://imageshack.us/a/img18/1586/p1030931u.jpg

DoBeDoo

It will leak badly if you don't replace the missing nut.

Wrenchtoss
The question is for mmprince. Thanks.

DoBeDoo
You better respond to the original post, he may not see the new post, just add it to the bottom of the first post.

Mhpautos
OK. Thanks. In the meantime it wouldn't hurt to get your take too.

DoBeDoo
The nuts are a cap head M6x1.0, you can get at Toyota or a junk yard. I would remove cover, the Felpro Viton gaskets can be reused.

I use a 1/4" ratchet and socket to tighten them, starting in center. Get them "snug". I also put black RTV on the distributor "hump" and the cam "hump.

The tube seals look good in the picture, I use a large socket same size as tube seal to install. Put cover face down (like first pic) on a concrete surface to drive in tube seals.

The bottom of the tube seal is a steel base. When properly installed the seal will face up towards top of cover.

Mmprince4000
Do you know the nut thread size so I can get a quick replacement?

If I remove cover can I reinstall gasket mostly dry like the first time since I didn't power up or do I need to cover with RTV second time.

If you compare the humps in the VC you can see there is a gap on the left. Will this be OK when torqued down or will it leak and I need to get a new gasket?

Both of these are good and don't look leak prone?
Seals 1-3: Tube Sits Above Seal

Thanks a lot

DoBeDoo
Nut size is M6 x 1.0.

Gasket can be re-installed.

Make sure you have gasket installed properly, reverse it to make sure it is on correctly as a test. If it fits hump better when reversed, then install.

Tube seals can also be installed wrong, the bottom that is inside cover should have a metal base.

Mmprince4000
Are you looking at my images before you answer because it doesn't seem so?

DoBeDoo
From what I can see the tube seals look good.

Mmprince4000