COLD AIR INTAKE

1997 Saturn SW2

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Saturn SW2 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 98,000 miles

okay I just bought a new cold air intake cone. I was going to install it but my friend said that I couldnt install it because of my mass air flow sensor, he also said that it wouldnt pass inspection because it would turn the check engine light on and I wopuldnt pass the emissions test for inspection. I want to know if this is true or not. Oh and I would have to take my air box out cause the new filter is too big to fit in the box. Is this true or can I just put it in and not have any problems?
Clamclairmont

First of all ur car doesnt have a massairflow sensor it has a map sensor. Second it shouldnt turn on ur check engine light as long as u make sure u keep ur iat sensor plugged in its at the opening of ur air box. Also when u install ur cold air intake make a place to insert ur iat sensor towards the end of it it may have a place to screw it in if not makke a place to put it in tightly threw a hole. Also I dont know if it will be legal to pass smog thats something u can ask around about depending on ur state and laws. Iat sensor by the way before u ask is ambient temp sensor it just measures the air comming into the engine to tell the compute what temp it is. With a cold air intake u tend to use more fuel so ur mpg will go down something to think about. Let me know how it goes good luck.
Louie