HIGH IDLE

2002 Saturn SL1

2002 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

It will idle high 2500rpm on and off. Then once in a while at say a stop sgn it will rev as much as 4500rpm. If you turn off the car and restart it the idle will come down. Any help would be appreciated
Dustin Souter

Its pretty common for the intake gasket to leak causing high idles and rough running. They leak around the number one and two cyls where the intake meets the head.U could also have a vaccuum some where else.U check for leaks with carb spray while the car is idling spraying around where u think its leaking. If the car runs rough or dies or the idle goes up u have a leak there.U could also have a idle air control solido sticking from carbon u can remove it and try cleaning it with the carb spray. Do u have any codes if u havent checked go get the codes scanned and if u have any let me know which ones u have. Let me know what u find.