AN EG OR EGR VALVE NEEDS REPLACED

Saturn Other

I have a 1999 saturn SC2 with 103,000 miles on it. The mechanic said that an EG valve was " sticking" and needs replaced. But a different mechanic said its an EGR valve that has to do with the exhaust. Any way the other day I started smelling smoke in my car and the mechanic said that it will cost $200 to replace this valve. Is that right or am I being ripped off? And what valve needs replaced?
Lizerd-angel

I'm assuming you have a Check Engine light on. But whatever the case, I hope you can get an idea of what to do about your EGR valve.

In my household we have a 1998 Saturn, SL1. The Check Engine light was on. When scanned at the shop, the mechanics said the EGR Code P0403 was showing and also there was Poor EGR Flow. They didn't suggest to replace the EGR valve. It was sticky so they cleaned it. They cleared the code and tested the system and it functioned good.

The light did come back on two days later though. I The Mass Air Flow senson was replaced today, the connector (due to a Trans. Temperature sensor showing in the computer when scanned) was replaced two years ago. The 02 sensor has not been replaced becaused it hasn't showed up in the computer as faulty.

The light has come back on.

Zipota1
Hey lizerd
Was the vehicle scanned, and if so what was the code. Gonna need some more info to help you!

Regards,

Chris

Carundell