98 SL1 EGR VALVE/MUFFLER PROBLEM

1998 Saturn Other

1998 sl1 143+ miles.

2 days ago I hit a bump while driving in the rain, shortly after I noticed a rattle/thumping noise coming from the rear end of the car. Turns out the strap to hold up the muffler had finally given away.

a day later(yesterday) the service engine light came on. I went to auto zone and p1404 was the code. The guy suggested cleaning the egr valve and strapping the muffler back up(obv.)I know about the egr valve and what it does, I just need some direction as to where and what to do.

im thinking it could be the fact that my muffler fell and loosened a connection of something. Also my car has a problem while idling the rpm's are sometimes at random, rev really high about 2500. Idk what to do!

i just got my oxygen sensor fixed about a month ago and a few other things( non related) and spent around $800.

the last thing I wanna do is spend a hefty amount of money that I don't have and is this something I can fix myself?

if so, how? I am fairly new to car mechanics, but am sure I could accomplish this petty task.
Ibenoob

The egr pintle may be dirty, or the port clogged or the vacuum line broken, or the solinoid inoperative.
Worst case scenario, PCM could be faulty. Heres a diagram to show the egr check valve operation, check vacuum line and check, clean port....Hang muffler, the strap cost about 25.00!

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_EGR_3.jpg

Merlin2021
Godamn, $25.W.E. I need it.

I cant even seem to find the valve. I found something else near where it should be. Held by two bolts, similar area.

Ibenoob
I checked the EGR valve and it seems to be brand spanking new, I guess they changed that while it was in the shop too.

Any other ideas?

Ibenoob
Did you remove it? Check it with a vacuum pump for opening and closing freely? Clean out the port?

Merlin2021
I did infact remove it, I dont have anything to check the vaccum but I did give it a bit of a cleaning.

Im thinking the exhaust falling might have loosened some connection and the air flow isn't going properly.

And since its thanksgiving and all I have to wait to get a strap for my muffler.

Thnx.

Happy holidays!

Ibenoob
If you remove the valve and start the engine just for a few seconds, the engine should rev high--2500 rpm

It will also sound real loud. If it revs high and is loud, The vacume side and the ehaust side are ok. The port that goes into the cyl head likes to plug.

Another option is the remove the egr valve and set it upside down and soak the pintle and the inside of the pintle with a good carb cleaner

Gmdriver708