TRANNY SLIP

2003 Saturn Ion

2003 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

the tranny feels like it slips or hesitates when accelerating slowly from a stop. The RPM's do not drop but the car slows for a few seconds.

mb
Mbpb1202

Do you have the sedan or the quad coupe?Also do you have any code's?

Quad & the codes I have are, P0700 & P1758.

Mb

Mbpb1202
I had a feeling you were going to say quad coupe that mean's you have a vti transmisson which is a piece of junk. The same transmission the 4cyl saturn vue's have I have replaced many transmission side cover's for that code. There is even a Bulletin for both the vue and ion about replacing the side cover for that code. You have to remove the transmission and take it apart the side cover contains you belt and input and out put shaft's it's a major repair and a very costly one. Here's the bulletin you will also have to have your transmission pressure tested to make sure you don't have a pump or valve body issue as well I have bad valve body's cause the side cover's to go bad and a few bad pump's.
Bulletin No: 04-07-30-024E

Date: June 09, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject: No Movement in Drive or Reverse with or without DTC P0741, P0742, P0841, P1756, P1758, or P1882 (Replace Case Cover Assembly and Filter)

Models: 2002 Saturn VUE - Retrofitted with a 2003 or 2004 VT25E (VTi) Transaxle (RPO M16/M75)
2003-2004 Saturn ION
2003-2005 Saturn VUE

with VT25E (VTi) Transaxle (RPO M16/M75)

Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add additional Correction information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-024D (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the vehicle not moving in the " D" (Drive) or " R" (Reverse) gear selection positions. In many cases, the transaxle will also produce an audible grind or whine noise when attempting to operate in drive or reverse. The Service Engine Soon (SES) telltale may be illuminated with DTCs P0741, P0742, P0841, P1756, P1758, or P1882 set.

Cause

This condition may occur when the VT25E transaxle belt has malfunctioned.

Correction

1. Disassemble and clean debris from the transaxle.

2. Inspect the front differential transfer gear, drive pinion gear and the front differential carrier ring gear for excessive wear or damage.

3. Inspect the bearing assemblies on the front differential transfer gear for damage or wear. If a bearing assembly needs replacement, refer to Front Differential Transfer Gear Bearing and Cup Replacement in SI.

4. Inspect the drive pinion bearing cup on the transmission case assembly for damage or wear. If the bearing cup needs replacement, refer to Front Differential Transfer Gear Bearing and Cup Replacement in SI.

5. Inspect the drive pinion gear bearing cup on the torque converter and differential housing assembly for damage or wear. If the bearing cup needs replacement, refer to Front Differential Transfer Gear Bearing and Cup Replacement in SI.

6. Place the front differential carrier and the front differential transfer gear into the housing.

7. Rotate the differential housing several times in both directions to check for knocking, gear bind or movement caused by small areas of damage (nicks/chips) on the gears. If the gears do not rotate smoothly, replace the differential carrier and the transfer gear. Refer to Front Differential Carrier Removal and Front Differential Transfer Gear Removal in SI.

8. Re-assemble the transaxle with a new case cover assembly. Refer to Case Cover Assembly Installation in SI.

9. Flush the cooler lines using the flushing procedures in Corporate Bulletin Number 03-07-30-022.

10. Install the transaxle in the vehicle. Refer to Transmission Replacement in SI.