WON'T START

2000 Rover 45

2000 Rover 45 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 50,000 miles

Have year 2000 (X) Rover 45 manual 50,000 miles, that won’t start. When turn key only continues clicking sound from starter motor. Have cleaned, re secured and checked all earth connections at battery, body and starter motor. Checked all starter motor live connections ( all OK, spade connecter gets power when ignition on ). Have replaced started motor with new unit, but same problem. Have checked starter motor when removed from engine casing and all looks to be working OK when ignition is turned, motor engages and turns freely. Starter motor does not appear to be turning engin over. Also moved car in gear and fly wheel turns OK and all other belts ect appear to be OK.
Brianashard

Replace battery. Check the flywheel teeth are good. Will the vehicle start with a bump?

Dave H
Hi Dave,

Thank's for the reply. The battery is good and the car starts fine with a push. The ring gear on the flywheel feels a bit rough so going to drop the g/box out today to have a look. Does anybody know how easy a job it is to replace the ring gear on the flywheel, I have been advised it is a job for the profesionals?

Brianashard
It would be simpler to replace the flywheel. Perhaps from a scrap yard?

Dave H
Have some noticeable wear on the ring gear ( but not as bad as I would of thought ).
Can not get a new ring gear so have got second hand one but is wrong size ( flywheel OK, just the ring gear too big ), complained to supplier and sent out replacement but it is also wrong size ( same as before ). Supplier ( and everyone else I have spoken too ) says there is only one type of ring gear fitted to this type of gear box / engine. Original ring gear is.9mm wide, 121 teeth and overall external diameter of 26cm, replacements are 1.6cm wide, 128 teeth and overall 27.5cm wide. I can not find the correct specification for the ring gear anywhere as nobody manufactures them now. Does anybody know what the correct spec is? Do you think my original ring gear is too small and that’s why I am having problems starting and will the “new” wider ring gear fit without jamming the starter?????? This is driving me mad now ! Any help is much appreciated….

Brianashard
The new ring gear seems to be oversized to me and would not work. Did you try any scrap yards to see if the same year vehicle has the same size as yours?

Dave H