HOW MUCH DOES CYLINDER HEAD GASKET REPLACE

2005 Pontiac GTO

2005 Pontiac GTO V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 45000 miles

My cylinder head gasket blew on my 2005 Pontiac GTO and I am being charged about $3000.00 for the repair because GM simply makes terrible cars. I feel that I am being ripped off but seeing as how much work that is involved, I'm not sure. I live in the Los Angeles, CA area so I don't expect labor to be cheap. But still, 3K is a lot of money for me.
YeomanDroid

If you are having both cylinder head gaskets replaced that should only take approx 11 labor hours. Even at a rate of $100 an hour (which most is around 80) that would only be 1,100 in labor fees and another 100 or so for the new gasket set. I would not see it costing 3k for a head gasket repair. I would suggest having another shop give you a quote.

Bluelightnin6
They replaced the spark plugs, the valves, thermostat and fluids (oil and coolant) in addition to the transcooler hoses. I would assume this is part of the expense too.

YeomanDroid
Correction, I just learned the valves were machined not replaced as this is not very common to be damaged. I am being given a refund of $371.00 for being charged over heater hose that was damaged during the head removal (why I got charged for it is beyond me). So I assume the price for 8 exhaust valves are around $211.00 for an LS2 V8 engine.

YeomanDroid
With all of those additional repairs and parts and with the partial refund I'm going to have to take back my initial statement and see this was indeed a fair cost then.

Bluelightnin6