FUEL PUMP

2002 Pontiac Grand Am

2002 Pontiac Grand Am 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

My wife and I were driving home last night and the car started spitting and sputtering like it was out of gas. Last night the car would crank but would immediately start sputtering and cut off. Today it won't crank at all. It turns over but never starts. I tested the gas pressure port on top of the engine and nothing comes out after I try to start. Does this mean that the fuel pump is bad and if so is this something that a diy mechanic can do. Thanks for any advice.
Adamcw

Could be, check the fuel filter and see if it is plugged. If you want to see if the fuel pump is bad, what I do is take the gas cap off and have somebody turn the key on/off and listen for the pump to turn on. If it dosent turn on/off I rap the gas tank with a rubber mallet and see if it starts if it does the pump is bad. Post back with what you find and will advise.

Brian 1
Thanks. I will try this when I get home from work to day and post results.

Adamcw
I took a rubber mallet and rapped on the fuel tank while my brother tried to start the car. While I was banging on the passenger side the car wouldn't start. I moved to the other side and the car cranked right up. As soon as I stopped banging the car sputtered and cut off however. Still sound like fuel pump?

Adamcw
Sonunds like it, just to be sure if you can hook up a fuel pressure guage and hit the tank and see if the fuel pressure jumps up, if it does it's a fuel pump. Also when you hit the tank hit it in the middle of the tank thats where the fuel pump is. Plus with the milage on this vehicle and if the pump was never changed it's a good chance the pump failed. Make sure you check of change the fuel filter could also be plugged. Post back with what you find.

Brian 1
Funny enough, I have a 05 Grand am, V6 with pretty much the exact same milage, 130k, and just a couple days ago the same exact thing happened to me: My wife and I were driving back from IKEA, and right when I was coming home, it started to spew and give out a little bit at a time, like if it was out of gas. The more I hit the accelerator, the worse it got. And like you, the engine would turn, but not start up, and if it did. Roughly, and only for a bit, then die.

Dwentz