CAR WILL NOT SHIFT INTO GEAR

1990 Plymouth Acclaim

1990 Plymouth Acclaim 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102000 miles

Car bucked and kicked somewhat on the way to work and at one point it appeared to be in a very lo gear doing 4000 rpm at 50 mph. I pulled over and it seamed to shift ok. When I got to work it bucked again and then would not go into any gear and I had to push it into a parking space. I came back later and it still will not move.
I would appreciate any assistance you can give me. Thanks
Nospam

Check if the brake lights are working-if so, have the shift interlock control system checked out.

Thank you for the response. The gear selector lever moves, but the car will no go into gear. There is no feeling at all as you would get when a car goes into drive or reverse. When I select drive or reverse, the engine just revs and the car does not move. If the gear selector is moving fine, but the car will not go into gear, could that still be a shift interlock control system malfunction

Nospam
If its coming out of park and place in gear and won't move there's a problem with the transmission-its not the shiftlock

My son's friend got in the car and increased the rpm to 1,000 rpm and the car would move, buck and kick but move. We have this car 2 months and so far have $1500 into it we are hoping this is something minor with the transmission or electronics related to the transmission. We appreciate suggestions. Thank you.

Nospam