HUB ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT PROCEDU

1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
1999 Oldsmobile Silhouette 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 177000 miles

Can you tell me exactly how to replace my driver side hub assembly?I know that it include something to do with disconnecting the axle behind the hub.
Ron9871

Ok these are not as hard as they look. First you will need to remove the axle nut then you will loosen the wheel lug nuts and lift and support vehicle then remove the front wheel. Now you will remove the brake caliper and support it (do not let it hang by the brake line). Then remove the rotor and then remove the three bolts from it through the holes in it from the front of the hub assembly on then remove the assembly. The seal that is shown is part of the assembly. Put the new one in in reverse order. Here is a pic of how it all breaks down.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_112.jpg

Racefan966
When I took mine off the hub nut was the toughest part. You need a breaker bar, and a hub puller. Oh, maybe some PB Blaster too, to break up the rust. Mine was a bear to get off (170K, 91 model). Once off it was pretty easy. Be aware you will need a torque wrench that can deliver 180 ft pounds of torque to put the hub assembly nut back on.

Bigplanz