MODELS CHECK ENGINE AND IDLING

1996 Oldsmobile Other

1996 Other Oldsmobile Models 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 67000 miles

I have 1996 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight 3800: Miles 67000. It has started giving me Check Engine light and my engine stops sometimes when I am stoped or driving at very slow (in parking lot etc). I just changed my oil as well it didn't help. How do I figure out the the Code? Why does it have such a short idling? And I would appreciate if you have any suggestions for this. Thank you
Columbian

Well it sounds like your idle air control valve giving you the problem, but if you want to be sure then take your car to autozone, or pepboys for a free computer scan, yes I said free(lol). And get back to us with the info that they give you from the scan

Legitimate007
I was able to go to Autozone and the person there checked the code and the code he is PO 401. He said it is to do with EGR system not enough fuel. Please let me know what to do next.

Thank you

Columbian
P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected.
This is what it means. Either your egr is faulty, needs to be cleaned or replaced. Or the egr tube is clogged and needs to be cleaned.

Legitimate007
Thank you. How much would it cost to get it fixed?

Columbian
Oh, that will vary, if you buy the part yourself and just pay for labor that may be the cheapest way. If you click on the link below and then click on discount autoparts, in the site menu. You can see your options in prices, we are very competitive with prices. 9 times out of 10, we have the cheaper price for the highest quality items. An egr valve only takes 3/10 of an hour in labor, so thats basically a couple of minutes to do. They would try to make their money with the cost of the part. This is why its cheaper to buy it yourself and find a place to put it on. Its not that hard, very simple, you may be able to do it yourself even. So check out the link at the bottom and click on discount auto parts and browse.

Legitimate007
Thank you for your reply and suggestion

Columbian
Awesome, anytime. If anymore problems occur just come right back
have a great memorial day

Legitimate007