LEAKING COOLANT AND HAS SORT OF A R

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 127000 miles

After locating this website, I've read a few questions/suggestions on what the issue maybe but not sure.

According to me (wife), the noise from the engine sounds rattling even when stepping on the gas pedal. I know for sure it's not the idling. But according to my husband, the noise sound like the engine is knocking. Any suggestions or ideas as to how we both can identify the noise problem?

And as for the leaking coolant, my husband took apart the thermostat by trying to find out where the water coming from. At this time, the engine is not leaking oil except for the leaking coolant. Can you tell me where else can he look?
Jaime6363

Based on your description, the first thing I would check is the water pump. When the bearing goes bad in them, they make noise and leak coolant.

Here is what to look for. On the water pump, (underside) there is a weep hole. It's aprox 1/4" in diameter. If I am correct, that is where the leak is coming from, and when you replace the pump, the noise will be gone.

Let me know what you find or if you have other questions.

Well after he checked the thermostat he needs to purchase uv leak detector and a uv light so he can trace the leak u can purchase these items at any auto parts store or walmart or local hardware store and also purchase radiator leak stop and as far as the knock or rattling in the car you need to replace ur right side motor mount and also check the harmonic balancer for the serpentine belt it may cause the car to sound like a rattle the bearings may be out of the original bearing set I hope this helped

Coreym.landry