HEAD GASKETS

1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass

How do I know when I have blown a head gasket? I also need to know is there a way I can fix the head gaskets without changing them before they blow?
Montrellclark

A cracked head gasket will allow the engine oil to mix with your coolant. Check the coolant and engine oil to ensure neither are milky looking. If you don't have a cracked gasket then there isn't anything you can do to because nothing needs to be done..

Bluelightnin6
If the coolant and oil has mixed and is of a milky substance what is the best thing to do to fix this problem? What is the typical price range to have something like this fixed for a 1998 Oldsmobile Cutlass?

Montrellclark
Replacement of the head gaskets is necessary if this is the case. Also an inspection of the cylinder head is needed too because it may also be cracked. Average shop price is 70$ an hour labor. This job would take around 10 - 12 labor hours = approx. 700 - 840 dollars not including parts.

Bluelightnin6