BLOWIN SMOKE OUT MY A$$

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

Comming back from the grocerie store the other day I saw that I was fogging the neighborhood with thick white smoke. This is a 91 olds calais w/2.3 quad 4. I took the coil cover off and the sp/plugs, did a compression test.I don't know the firing order so I'll call the cylinder closest to the timming chain cyl#1. Cyl# 2, 3, 4 averaged about 190 p.S.I. Cyl#1 had no compression at all and blew oil all the way up to the hood.I'm thinking a dropped valve? I dont Know, I want to keep the car it's my depenable old work sled. Ive always taken good care old lady
Teksun

You are correct the #1 cylinder is at the front of the engine or closest to timming chain.

Ok, did or do you hear any noise particularly rattle coming from the engine?

If you can you may want to take the valve cover off and take a look at the valves and springs and rocker arms.

Another possibility is a blown head gasket.

.

Obxautomedic
Thank you for the reply, obxautomedic. The quad 4 is a dual overhead engine, I thought I could thake the valve covers off to inspect valves, cam, springs but this engine doesn't have covers. All that stuff is incased in housing that requires removing timing cover, chain, harmonic balanserand gears, then the OHC assemlby can lift off for bothe the exhaust and intake banks, that's big deal fo me but I know I can do it. My main question is, should I do that or drop the oil pan, pull piston? THanks I never thought it might be ahead gasket, I hope so. Yes as I was pulling in my driveway I heard a rattle like it was way low on oil

Teksun
When you removed the #1 plug did you look at it? If so did it look like it coolant on it.

Also start the vehicle and look listen and smell the coolant with cap off if head gasket is blown you will hear bubbling see bubbling and smell exhaust in the coolant.

.

Obxautomedic