NOT CHARGING

1997 Nissan Truck

1997 Nissan Truck 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 135000 miles

I have a 1997 Nissan Pickup that will not charge the battery. I have replaced the battery and the alternator and both test good. Can anyone help?
JETAIRAC

Hi there,

Can you test the alternator out put at the alternator what is it reading? Please post the reading for more assistance.

Mhpautos
Check fuse no. 9 and 11 if okay-look at the charge system EWD

If both tested good than you have a wiring problem or the charge indicator

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_nissan_charge_1.jpg

The output at the alternator is the same as at the battery. It is about 12.8.

JETAIRAC

If this reading is being recorded while engine is idling its not charging-get the alternator tested again.

The Alternator was tested yesterday and it was putting out 15 volts on the testing machine. I installed a NEW one yesterday and that one tested at 15 volts on the machine but only 12 volts in the truck as well. I dont understand how this can be happening, but it is.

JETAIRAC
Disconnect the alternator and check for power at the yellow and red wire do you have it if not check the charge indicator and check bulb relay-

The Charge Indicator light comes on with the key as it is supposed to, and then is extinguished once the car is started. The Bulb relay is another story, how do I test this relay?

JETAIRAC
Do you have a multimeter if so the coil side should read 40-80ohms, switch side infinite no meter swap it with a like one.