WON'T START. DETAILS BELOW

2004 Nissan Sentra

2004 Nissan Sentra 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120, 00 miles

I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra that has had trouble starting. If it sits for a decent amount of time (couple of hours at least) it more than likely won't start on first crank. If it does start, it putters and dies. It will eventually start and run perfectly. Well today my fiance was driving down the road and it died out of nowhere. I went to pick her up. Went home to call a towing company. I came back to the car (about 30 minutes later), turn the key 5 times to turn the power on but not start the car. Then it suddenly started when I tried to start it. Took it down to the gas station to put gas in it. I left it running in the lot for about 5 minutes and it died again and now won't start again. Any ideas what it could be?
Randyasears

Hi
Any check engine light on? Suspect fuel pump can you hear pump run? Need to check fuel pressure. Also check for spark pull plug wire hold 1/4 in. From block spark?
Let me know
Thanks for donate

Docfixit
I did hear the fuel pump running. The Check Engine light was on but we ran it and it said something about an o2 sensor. That was changed and it went off and now nothing. I haven't yet checked for spark. It's now on it's way to the shop. I'll have to go up there over the weekend and check and see if there's spark.
Apparently this is a common issue with nissan sentras and the only person i've ever found that had success in fixing it had to have his timing chain replaced. Does that sound like something that would fix this problem?

Randyasears
Hi
Been out with flu so could not respond. Not sure it Timing issue. What happened at shop?

Docfixit
Well they couldn't find anything wrong with it. It started right up for them and it never died for them apparently. It hasn't started right up without having to crank it a couple times in over a year. Now all of a sudden it started right up for them. They did run the computer on it and it came back to a Crankshaft position sensor. That is something other people with this same problem replaced and it didn't fix the issue. So I'm going to replace it but I doubt it's going to fix it. I'm definitely thinking it's a fuel pump. Others are saying that while the car sits, the fuel pressure bleeds out of the pump thus causing it to have to be cranked a couple of times to build the pressure back up to get it started.

Randyasears
Crank and cam shaft sensors are prone to fail due to heat, moisture and vibration. And will heal themselves
So always suspect and often throw no codes but crankshaft sensor did show up. That would be logical next step. Was fuel pressure checked?
Let me know what happens

Docfixit
No they did not check the fuel pressure. They said the car was starting and running fine so they found no reason to go any further than running the code that was throwing the check engine light. I guess it's good b/c then I wouldn't be paying them an hour's worth of diagnosis if they aren't going to find anything but who knows, they could have found something. So all they did was run it on the computer. Nothing more. But yes, the check engine light does come on and off periodically. So you're saying it'd probably be a waste to replace that sensor or should I replace it?

Randyasears
No if crank sensor came up then replace and see if it is the fix. If it is throwing the code then replace

Docfixit
Well I took it out for lunch today and it died on me again. It was running and starting perfectly before that. The mechanic told me to check for spark (as you guys have already told me to do). I'm going to be checking that today after work. If it's sparking then he's thinking it's the fuel pump

Randyasears
So would a crankshaft position sensor cause the issues I'm explaining? Would a fuel pressure regulator/fuel pump cause these issues? I know on a honda we had a long time ago it was the same problems and it ended up being the fuel pump. I just don't want to order a $300 fuel pump and that not be the issue. I can change it easily by myself. That's just an expensive guess. Lol So my dilemma is, start with the sensor or just jump in with the fuel pump?

Randyasears
I would do the crank sensor. Fuel pump should cause aother symptoms and not start up as quickly. And spark test is only valid if eninge is not starting and your able to determine you have either no spark or no fuel.

Docfixit
Page 1 of 2