SE-R SPEC V MOTOR PROBLEMS

2004 Nissan Sentra • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 113 miles

I had my car on the highway the other day and it just shut off in the middle of the road. The car was making a knocking sounds so I pulled to the side of the road the oil was low and now the car won't start at all what could be wrong?
NSSVTR

There are many possibilities and the knocking noise and low oil level does not bore good tidings.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

The above link shows what to check for if you are able to crank.

Well I have narrowed it down I got 2 codes P0300 and P1111 now the one that concerns me atm is the Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve. This is a $200 part that I can only find at a dealership how can I tell this is bad? Now we checked my timing and the timing lines up fine but. The marks on the chains dont line up with each other every thing else lines up like the mark on the crank and the dot tot he side but the chains have 2 yellow lines on them and they wont line up is this a problem? Thanks

NSSVTR
I do not know how many turns of the crankshaft is required to make the timing marks lined up but it can be between 30 to 70 turns.

Remove the spark plugs and keep turning the crankshaft to check if the timing marks are correct. If they had jumped tooth, you can have the )1111 code.

Well the timing is Fine now and its down to the P111 code the Intake Valve Timing Control Solenoid Valve. I found one on a website for sale but its for the 1.8L is this safe to use in my QR25DE model? Or do you know a place I could try to get this part for cheaper besides the dealership cause a $200 fix and not positive if this will make the motor run or not is a big price.

NSSVTR
Unless they are interchangeable (have the same prt number), otherwise I would not recommend using a 1.8 component for a 2.5 engine.

Sorry I am not able to help on getting the part. How about trying the junkyard?

Yeah we tried junk yards everywhere around here and none have my car go figure my luck there.I got it all put back together last night and it wants to turn over it almost does everytime but it just wont turn over can you possibly think of anything else besides this solenoid that would cause that? I was possibly thinking my fuel pump but it sounds like it's working I just never checked yet if you can think of anything at all please let me know

NSSVTR
I would sugggest checking the fuel pressure and main relay.

Have you checked the compression?

The solenoid would cause difficult or non starting as it changes the valve timing and can result in compression losses.

Did you test the VTC solenoid operations?

We just checked the VTC it does work but when we had it in the plug we left it out of the motor and try to quick roll it over to see if it would work then and didnt I assume the plug is bad. Or the harness if you will. Is there a fuse for the VTC? Or do I need to replace this plug and if so do you know of a place to get one. One other question where in the hell do you find a Fuse diagram for the my car the 04 nissan sentra SE-R Spec V cause there isnt one in the manual and we checked everywhere online and we cant find one at all

NSSVTR
It is strange that our database does not have the labelling of the fuses.

Go through the following and see if you can come up with anything.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURE

1. CHECK IVT CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE POWER SUPPLY CIRCUIT

a) Turn ignition switch OFF.

B) Disconnect intake valve timing control solenoid valve harness connector.

C) Turn ignition switch ON.

D) Check voltage between intake valve timing control solenoid valve terminal 2 and ground with CONSULT-II or tester.
Voltage: Battery voltage

OK or NG

OK: GO TO 3.

NG: GO TO 2.

2. DETECT MALFUNCTIONING PARTS

Check harness for open or short between intake valve timing control solenoid valve and ECM relay.

Repair harness or connectors

3. CHECK IVT CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE OUTPUT SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR OPEN AND SHORT

a) Turn ignition switch OFF.

B) Disconnect ECM harness connector.

C) Check harness continuity between ECM terminal 11 and intake valve timing control solenoid valve terminal 1.

Continuity should exist.

D) Also check harness for short to ground and short to power.

OK or NG

OK: GO TO 4.

NG: Repair open circuit or short to ground or short to power in harness or connectors.

4. CHECK INTAKE VALVE TIMING CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE

Refer to "COMPONENT INSPECTION ".

OK or NG

OK: GO TO 5.

NG: Replace intake valve timing control solenoid valve.

5. CHECK INTERMITTENT INCIDENT

Refer to "TROUBLE DIAGNOSIS FOR INTERMITTENT INCIDENT ".

INSPECTION END

COMPONENT INSPECTION

INTAKE VALVE TIMING CONTROL SOLENOID VALVE

1. Disconnect intake valve timing control solenoid valve harness connector.

2. Check resistance between intake valve timing control solenoid valve terminals 1 and 2 under the following conditions.

Refer to diagram.

Well we did all that and found that yes the solenoid works but the plug does not. Where does the wires lead from the back of the Intake valve timing control solenoid valve lead too? A diagram would help too or if you could explain where it goes not just a part cause then I gotta figure out where that part is too thanks for the help

NSSVTR