ROUGH IDLE

1998 Nissan Maxima

1998 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

I'm a novice when it comes to car repair, but I seem to have a rough idle while the car is stopped in gear. I would have to change to neutral to keep the rpms steady. This happens in reverse also. But when I'm at highway speeds the car seems fine. I checked the codes and I have a small vacume leak evap and maf code. I noticed that the rubber seal between the MAF and filter is missing and dirt might have gotten in? Is the Mass Airflow sensor cleanable? I bought a MAF cleaner and am hesitant to use it? I also figure the evap code has something to do with the bypass valve and carbon canister. These seem to be common problems?
Borqua79

Hi there,

You can clean the MAF sensor, just follow the instructions and you should be fine, check all the vacuum hoses and have the EVAP system checked, a tune will also help if this has not been done, start here and re post if you need more assistance.

Mhpautos