VERY ROUGH IDLE

1992 Nissan Maxima

Engine problem
1992 Nissan Maxima V6 Front Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

The engine starts a little hard but always starts after a couple of tries. It idles very rough and smooths out if I step on the accelerator and give it plenty of gas. Then it will return back to rough idle and ocassionally stall out. While driving the vehicle it has pleny of power and runs smooth while under a load, but when I slow down for a stop sign it returns back to rough ilde conditions and again will sometimes stall while waiting for the light to turn green unless I depress the brake pedal while also depressing the accelerator pedal to increase the rpms so it won't stall. It is amazing how well the car runs while it is on the open road. There is a smell like the engine is running a bit rich. What do you think?
John84*

DAVIDH
Try checking the mass airflow sensor, just upstream of the air cleaner. If you pull the wire off with the engine running, and it smooths out, then the sensor is the problem---reasonably cheap and easy to fix.

Bdwmson