INTAKE GASKET LEAK

Nissan Altima

I own a Nissan Altima 01 with 30k miles on it.
Recently, I noticed some issue with the car when it started jumping between the gears and pulling forward when I pushed accelerator a little bit.
Went to check at local auto store, they said it was an intake gasket leaking. The part for that costs only 10-12 dollars but labor is around 600 dollars. I could not believe it? Is that true? Can it be so cumbersome just to change a gasket?
Secondly, I want to know if it is pretty unusual for a car with that low mileage to have a gasket leak (damage) just within 30k miles (~5 yrs old).

thanks in advance,
sanjay.
Sanjayv

It's unusual, but not unheard of. The intake gasket replacement requires disassembling the intake manifold or intake header depending on which one has failed. I would call around for a few more estimates, but they may use a flat labor rate based on manufacturer recommended labor hours.

Mvannessjr
How sure they are that the problem its that gasket?

Do you still having warranty on your car?

Ask for a second opinion, probably its just a vacuum leak or something else.

(600 reasons to look around : D )

Manuel.

Fisherman
I had the same problem and I went for 90000 miles service and was told that intake manifold gasket needs to be replaced and they charged me $720 for labour for 8 hours and part was only for $24. Does it really take that long.

Ash2001
Waao!
Im at the wrong busisness!

: D

Fisherman