WONT START, STARTER CLICKS, BATTERY GOOD.

1930 Nissan 300ZX

1994 300ZX, 134,893 miles, non-turbo coupe, Left side driver, manual trans, V6. When the key is actuated the starter clicks and the dash lights do not go dim but the clock on the console and radio does. The battery is fully charged and does not drain. Will push start easily. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.
Mreifel

Check for corrosioin and improperly tightened or connected lines. Take off the battery connector terminals and clean them and hte battery posts good, then reconnect and tighten.

Blackop555
Check the switch under the front driver tire, behind the wheel, it will click when you turn the key

i had the same problem with my 300zx 1992 NA

i never did figure out what it was before i sold it
but i read a bunch of Q&A and it said that switch was a problem to be of concern

go to http://www.twinturbo.net for complete 300zx tech problems and forums and stuff

GL

Kaladyn
They said the starter is clicking when attempting to crank, so I do belive that the switch is not the problem. What switch are you talking about?

Blackop555
The starter relay is directly behind the drivers side front tire inside the firewall. That is the next component I am going to replace today. Replaced the starter yesterday, thought it might have been the solenoid. Did not fix it. What's actually clicking is the starter relay. All the connectors are good.
Thanks.

Mreifel
Replaced starter relay, starter, and ignition coil relay with no luck. Starter relay does click louder. The security light on the dash stopped flashing and the stock security system no longer works. The headlights do not dim when I try to start the car. Maybe this is how the starting system is designed, if it is I don't like it, I prefer the the entire power of the battery to start the car. There doesn't seem to be a problem with the ignition switch.
Tomorrow I will put it back on the lift to see if there is power at the solenoid when I turn the key.
Anybody ever bypass the theft control unit?

Mreifel
Lights should dim when the car is being cranked, that means there is energy being used for starting. Try check for voltage at the starter, if you have none, then you have checked everything but the ignition switch, the battery, and he cables.

I still think you should check the battery and adn all connections for corrosion if you have not done so.

Blackop555
I appreciate your reply and there is no corrosion on the connections. The only lights that do dim are the radio, installed clock in console, and the heater / air conditioning indication. Headlights and idiot lights in dash do not dim. Which means the power is not be distributed properly to the starting system. I'll find out in the morning if power is going to the solenoid when the key is actuated. If not it goes in to be fixed.

Mreifel
After going to the Nissan dealer and finding out they want to charge me $90.00 an hour to diagnose the problem I decided to continue on my own. The problem was the starter relay actually called by Nissan an inhibitor relay. The connector to it was not pushed in all the way. If you ever find that you are not getting power to your starter when you actuate the ignition check this first before buying anything. Starts like a gem.
Thank you for all your

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/123246_CIMG0630_2.jpg

Mreifel