REAR BRAKES

1924 Nissan 240SX

I have a 1990 Nissan 240SX and I'm working on the brakes on it. I replaced all the shoes and rotors, and when I was driving the rear right rotor began emitting white smoke that smelled sort of like burning plastic (not too much smoke). I pulled over and waited for it to stop smoking. After 15 more minutes of driving I checked again and the wheel was hot to the touch, and the other rear wheel was warm. The front wheels where cold. The smoking stopped at this time though.

It is possible that I got some brake fluid on the wheel, but then why where they hot? Also, when I pushed the rear piston back into the caliper (by turning it), is it possible that I didn't push it far enough?

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Andrew
Andkorn

Need to be sure the small locating pin on the back of the pad is sitting in the slot the caliper piston. Might be jammed in there causing the pad to drag

Jack42
Wonderful! After repositioning the rear piston so that the nub on the brake pad fitted into the slot on the piston, the car was much better.

The brakes would still heat up and smell at highway speeds, but after a day it went away.

Thanks for your help!

Andkorn