CAR START PROBLEM - KEY? IGNITION

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander

2006 Mitsubishi Outlander 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

This problem started several months ago and has worsened recently.

When I go to start the car, and turn the key, you can hear a clicking of the relay, but the car will not start (no attempt to crank at all). Repeated tries to start, usually result in the car starting right up (some times the 2nd try, some times after the 15th!)

For a month or so, I discovered that if I wiggled the key just so, it would fire up first try, every time. But then it went back to not starting. Usually I have to try turning the key several times before it will start. It seems worse after the car has been parked for a short amount of time (doesn’t want to start at gas stations). If parked overnight, it seems to start on the first try more often.

Sometimes I just can not get it to start with a turn of the key, and have to result to push starting. It ALAWAYS starts when push started.

Any suggestions? Battery is new, otherwise car is due for tune up.
Appsolute

Hi appsolute,

Thank you for the donation.

The fault lies in the starting circuit and possible causes are :

1. Faulty ignition switch. When starter does not crank, test the Blacl/Yellow wire from ignition switch for battery voltage with ignition turned to START positioon. If battery voltage is not available, the ignition switch is faulty.

2. Faulty clutch interlock switch. Disconnect the clutch interlock switch connector and bridge the teminals. If starter cranks, test the switch for continuity with pedal depressed. If continuity is not available, switch is faulty.

3. Starter. Disconnect the starter solenoid wire and use a remote wire to apply battery voltage. Test it a few ttimes and if starter cranks each time, it is good.

You can test the ignition switch and starter from the starter relay. Unplug the relay and attach a tst lamp to terminal 3 or 5. When ignition is turned on, the test lamp should light up if the ignition switch is good.

If applying battery voltage to terminal # 2 cranks the starter, the starter is good.

Note: Sometimes the voltage from ignition switch might be lower than expected due to wiring or poor ignition switch contacts and under this condition, power supply test works but the voltage is insufficient to crank the starter.

4. Loose wire connectors. Check the connectors between the ignition switch and fuse box for signs of overheating at connectors.

5. Faulty Starter relay. Try swapping the relay with the headlight relays to see if it works.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_StartingCircuit06OutlanderFig42a_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_StartingCircuit06OutlanderFig42b_1.jpg

This is very helpful. I had a feeling it could also be related to the clutch.

I am going to do your suggested tests this week, and I will be back if I do not find the solution.

Appsolute
Keep updated of the outcome.