ENGINE INTERMITTENTLYSTALLS AND WON'T STA

1986 Mercury Lynx

1986 Mercury Lynx 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 150000 miles

This has been going on for the last couple of days and has gotten worse.

Driving along and the engine just quits dead.
Was usually able to restart it again within seconds or minutes but not it seems to stay dead longer.

It has multipoint EFI and I think I have ruled out fuel as the culprit. Fuel pressure at the schraeder valve seems OK even when it won't start.

I think it is likely electrical but not sure where to start.

Off now to check for spark and dig intor the wiring diagrams.
Xlh1460

First make sure your air filter is clean. Or change it. Also check your idle air control valve. Make sure its not faulty. I wouldnt' rule out crankshaft sensor either; usually though you will have to let car cool for a while after it conks off. Check these three things out and get back to us
good luck buddy

Air filter is so-so, out now so not the issue.

I just checked and it looks like no spark to the plugs.

Going to check the dist cap and rotor and spark from the coil. Then time to get out the test light and trace the ign system. My old haynes manual has some pretty good info on checking that part.

Thanks for the prompt response and I'll keep you posted.

Xlh1460
Great thank you

My experiences with thes is the TFI module, or distributor, usually it ends up as a bad ignition module tho.

Merlin2021
Following the troubleshooting sections in the manual has led me to the same conclusion. I feel more comfortable with it now with your confirmation

Sincere thanks.

I am going to go in search of a module. I think the local parts store can test them. Any idea on how reliable that test is or should I just " pony up" and pay for a new one? I don't think that they are real expensive.

Thanks again.

Dale.

Xlh1460
Don't forget the Dielectric grease. It should come with a small tube, apply a thin coat on the mating surface to the distributor.

Merlin2021
It did and that was the problem, the TFI module was bad. Now it runs.

Thanks guys.

Xlh1460