SPUTTERS AND STOPS RUNNING

1986 Mercury Lynx • V8 2WD Automatic • 157,000 miles

1986 Mercury Lynx mileage: 157,000. I have a problem that I have been trying to diagnose now for about two years. My Lynx will go for three or four months and run just fine, then out of the blue I will be driving along and it will sputter and stop running. I will let it sit for a few hours and it will start back up, run for a while, and quit again. This will go on for up to a month then it will return to running normal. I have had it in for diagnostic, tune-ups, carburetor rebuilt, thorough electrical inspection, all to no avail, I am at a loss. Right now, I am battling the on/off running syndrome. Any help would be appreciated.
2CarPros-Archives

If possible, when your car dies, and will not restart, check for spark at the spark plugs. If there is no spark, the problem may be the ignition module or the pick-up coil in the distributor.

2CarPros-Archives