BRAKE CONVERSION

1986 Mercury Cougar

Brakes problem
1986 Mercury Cougar V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I installed a 8.8 rear axle from a 1989 Mark VII into my 1986 Cougar. The Mark Vii axle had anti lock disk brakes but the cougar doesn't. Do I need to make any changes to the anti lock brakes or the system on the car to make them NOT anti-lock. I have replaced the calipers on the rear but they don't seem to be pressurizing enough to apply the rear brekes completly. The pistons are moveing slightly but not enough to make contact with the disk. The master cylinder and booster are new also.
Jhildy69

Did the cougar have disc or drum brakes originally? Combination/proportioning valve and master from the Mark might be needed.

Merlin2021
The rear breaks were originally drum, Do you mean a different master cylinder, from a mark VII

Jhildy69
Yes and the proportioning valve, more pressure required by rear disc, larger reservoir in master for rear disc. Must displace more fluid to the rear brakes, if non anti lock, try a master from an older ford with rear disc.

Merlin2021