MERCEDES MAJOR OIL LEAK

1983 Mercedes Benz 300sd

1983 Mercedes Benz 300sd Automatic 200000 miles

Hi all, thanks for any help ahead of time.

I was just given this car by an uncle and it has a few problems I would like some advice on.

First, there is a MAJOR oil leak (something like 2 quarts every hour) that actually sends oil to the windshield from the front of the hood. The ENTIRE car gets covered. I looked around the internet and it seems a lot of people were suggesting the front main seal. Anyone know where else I might look? It only leaks when the car is running.

Second, my brakes have been getting worse and worse but I don't seem to be losing any brake fluid. I saw around here that it may be a vacuum leak? Is that the most likely culprit?

Also, my AC doesn't blow cold. I'm going to have the freon topped off. Anyone know if there is a specific type to use? I saw that there were a bunch of people having problems with the A/C. Is there possibly another problem other than freon? Also, the heat doesn't work either.

I think I saw that vacuum seal problems were preventing windows from moving. Neither of the windows on the driver side work. Is that possibly the explanation or do I need new window motors? The front driver side doesnt respond at all and the rear window does sometimes, though very sluggishly.

Thanks again for any advice.
Dotrooster

To answer your first question

" First, there is a MAJOR oil leak (something like 2 quarts every hour) that actually sends oil to the windshield from the front of the hood. The ENTIRE car gets covered. I looked around the internet and it seems a lot of people were suggesting the front main seal. Anyone know where else I might look? It only leaks when the car is running.&Quot; it sounds like it's the oil cooler located in the front of the car on the left side of the radiator. Check and see if your uncle as maybe hit something in the front of the vehicle, or maybe it's the cooler lines leaking.

" Second, my brakes have been getting worse and worse but I don't seem to be losing any brake fluid. I saw around here that it may be a vacuum leak? Is that the most likely culprit? &Quot; They are getting worse how? Are they getting harder to push? Sounds like the vacuum may be going bad that is located on the left side of the front of the engine, that may also be your oil leak.

" Also, my AC doesn't blow cold. I'm going to have the freon topped off. Anyone know if there is a specific type to use? I saw that there were a bunch of people having problems with the A/C. Is there possibly another problem other than freon? Also, the heat doesn't work either.&Quot; The climate control system on that vehicle is controlled by vacuum, if the vacuum pump is bad and you are noticing it in your brake pedal that may be a reason the AC does not work.

" I think I saw that vacuum seal problems were preventing windows from moving. Neither of the windows on the driver side work. Is that possibly the explanation or do I need new window motors? The front driver side doesnt respond at all and the rear window does sometimes, though very sluggishly.&Quot; Negative, the vacuum only operates the door locks not the Windows, the problem with the front windows is very common, people spilled their drinks and food they are eating right on top of the window switches on the consul, remove the window switch, disassemble clean and reinstall, they will work just fine.

I guess that does it for now.

Dr Loot