BURNING SMELL

2004 Mazda RX8

Smells problem
2004 Mazda RX8 Two Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

I have a problem with my rx8. I had my clutch and flywheel replace by the dealer but after that I have been getting a burning smell coming from the vent when I drive fast. Even for a little bit. The engine light will start flashing and I have gotten the top of the line ignition coils but nothing. If I'm driving slow it doesn't smell but as soon as I accelerate, and have the widows down, you can smell it. You can't smell it when the AC is on or the windows are closed. I don't want to go to the dealer and have them mess with it and mess it up even more without knowing where to look. I had the engine replace at 70,000 miles and all maintenance have been done by the dealer. I should have just bought the Z
Kdayo07

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

The first thing you need to do is get a scan done to see why the check light is activated, do this and let me know what code is set.

Mhpautos
The code is P0300. Multiple misfiring which could mean anything. But the engine light only start blinking when I drive down heel, never uphill or straight. The burning smell steal there. I'm thinking that the smell is the clutch or something. Any ideas

Kdayo07
Do a clutch stall test,

With the engine running handbrake on hard select 1st and try and drive off the engine should stall as the clutch bights in, if it slips and smells, yes the clutch is faulty.

Mhpautos
I try what you told me and the engine didn't stall or no burning smell, so slipping so the clutch is fine.
I thinking about changing the spark plug and cables first. I have OKADA ignition coil that are about a year old so I don't think that is it.

Kdayo07
OK,

do the full tune up and check for any vacuum leaks as well,

mark (mhpautos)

Mhpautos
Got it. Will keep you posted

Kdayo07
Just to let you know that I am not always on at this time of night (my time) I am in Aust and it is 1-30AM here, but I will see your posts so do not think that I have forgotten to reply if I do no come on for a while.

Mhpautos
Got it

Kdayo07