GRINDING NOISE WHEN CLUTCH IS PRESSED-BA

1991 Mazda Protege

1991 Mazda Protege 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 170000 miles

My Mazda has started to make a grinding, metal-on-metal sounding noise whenever I push in the clutch pedal. The RPMs also drop, sometimes stalling the engine. This happens only when the clutch pedal is pressed in, whether in gear or not. When I release the clutch pedal, the noise stops completely. I first suspected the clutch release bearing, and I replaced it as well as the pilot bearing, but it did not change the problem in any way.

My vehicle is a 1991 Mazda Protege LX. It has the 1.8 L DOHC and 5-speed manual transmission.
Sjsmith801

If this noise is mostly at the front of the tranny close to the engine best check the pressure plate or clutch cover-you still have to go back in and investigate-also inspect the pilot bushing/bearing again

Well, I've got the tranny removed again and I've inspected the clutch and the bearings. Everything seems to be fine, including the pressure plate, flywheel, etc. That's why this problem stumps me.

Sjsmith801