KNOCKING

2002 Mazda 626

2002 Mazda 626 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 141000 miles

I have aknock in my engine that sounds similar to having a playing card in the spokes of your bicycle. The knock goes away once the engine gets up to speed. It does hesitate at lower speeds.
Rebel5566

So this is like a low engine speed tick?

Mhpautos
Yes when it is idleing.

Rebel5566
Hi there, have they valve clearance checked as one may have excessive clearance, caution must be taken if any adjustment is to be made as special tooling is required to replace adjustment shims, also check foe an exhaust leak around the manifold, start here.

Mhpautos
Hey Mark,

Is this an expensive undertaking? Would this also cause the car to sputter at low speeds?

Rebel5566
Hi there, with what you have added I would be looking at a short in a plug lead or a faulty coil, as excessive valve clearance normally won't cause the miss fire.

Mark

Mhpautos
The knock comes from the lower part of the engine. Would that have any impact as well?

Rebel5566
A knock from the lower part of the engine would indicate a possible bearing or oil pressure problem problem, I would be getting the oil pressure tested cold idle, hot idle and hot 1500RPM, post the findings here.

Mhpautos