INTAKE MANIFOLD REMOVAL/INSTALL HELP

1998 Mazda 626

1998 Mazda 626 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 100000 miles

Hello all!

I have a 1998 Mazda 626 4cyl 100K mi.

I am looking for anyone with tips/tricks to removing and installing an intake manifold, I do have the repair book and have read it. The reason for this repair is to replace the leaking intake manifold gasket because it is leaking air causing P0171 code. I am also replacing the other 2 gaskets while I'm there (EGR, Throttlebody)

1) can this be done by one person (me). I'm not new to working on cars

2) do I need to really remove the coolant?

3) how do you reach the lower intake manifold bolts? Can I even get a torque wrench in there?
Ghs215

Properly relieve the fuel system pressure. Disconnect the negative battery cable and drain the cooling system.
Disconnect the air intake hose from the throttle body. Remove the hose, resonator(s) and air cleaner assembly.
Disconnect the accelerator and, if equipped, the cruise control cable. Disconnect and plug the fuel lines.
Label and disconnect all necessary vacuum hoses and electrical connectors. Disconnect the coolant hoses.
Disconnect the EGR tube, if equipped.
If necessary, remove the air valve and remove the fuel rail attaching bolts. Remove the fuel rail and injectors as an assembly.
From below, remove the intake manifold support bracket.
If necessary, remove the bolt retaining the dipstick tube bracket to the intake manifold.
If necessary, unbolt the vacuum solenoid bracket from the manifold and position it aside. This will afford better access to the intake attaching nuts/bolts.
Remove the intake manifold-to-cylinder head bolts/nuts and remove the intake manifold assembly.
If necessary, remove the throttle body and separate the intake manifold upper and lower halves.

Bluelightnin6