MAKING SURE MY PROBLEM IS THE TRANNY

1992 Mazda 626

1992 Mazda 626 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 138000 miles

I recently pulled out of a parking spot and was driving at a slow speed and all of the sudden I heard a very loud bang that had come from the rear of the car. For a few days after I had no problems. Yesterday I had just started my car and I put it in reverse and it made the loud bang, I guess I did reverse alittle because I remember putting it in drive and I moved the car back up to its parking spot. Then I put it back in reverse and I was fine. I took the car to a garage later that day and they told me that my transmission needed to be replaced. I honestly don't think they even did a thorough check. Could it just be a filter and fluid problem or more serious, and I need a new car?
Joykai

Hi joykai,

Your transmission is in the front of the car so if you heard a loud bang in the rear, it is unlikely to be your transmission. Before replacing your transmission, you may want to consider having your car inspected by a few other places. Some unscrupulous mechanics will see an easy fix but tell you otherwise.

If you are mechanically inclined, raise the rear of your car and SECURE IT VERY WELL! Then, see if both rear wheels rotate properly and if there is any play from side to side. Also inspect your suspension on both sides, the sway bar, muffler, etc. It could be something as simple as a few loose bolts. As I had experienced on my own vehicle.

Digitalstorm