CODE 1299 CHT SENSOR

2005 Lincoln LS

Engine Cooling problem
2005 Lincoln LS V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 74568 miles

Over heated car change thmo. Stat cleared codes and light came back on. It is in fail safe mode. It told me to put new cly. Head sensor in. Is there a way to reset the fail safe mode without putting in new sensor?Ford said to follow cht heating chart I do not have one can you help.
Hj72

I take it the vehicle isnt overheating anymore? You may need to replace the CHT sensor, if it is shorted after being overheated it may be sending false signal to the PCM causing the limp mode. When you clear the codes this one comes back?

Jack42
Yes I cleared the codes and this one comes back on I have a new one coming. Also I just found out that the fial safe mode has been on before it over heated. It had a cly.2 misfire code, I replace the coil clear all and this one keeps coming back.

Hj72
Then the sensor may be bad if the CHT code keeps coming back

Jack42
Do you know the location of the CHT sensor I have a pictrue but it look like it was under valae cover it is not there.I think I found the plug, it runs under the platum.I may have to take that off?

Updated 4/14/10
i found it under the platum left side thank you.I think I got the turh from
the kid. He said he has been driving the car with the light on for 5 weeks went in fail safe mode and then he over heated it.I got it and pull codes p1299, po356 coil, po302 cly.2 misfire.P2110 TAC System Force Limited RPM, p2107Throttle Actuator Control Motor Procssor.I put in new coil cleared all codes P 1299 came back, put in new CHT sensor unhook battery no codes. Road test fail safe mode back on?No codes any way to reset this fail safe mode?

Hj72
3.0 L engine it is under rocker cover, 3.9 it is under the intake, and yes the manifold has to be removed to change it.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_30l_1.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/1639_39l_1.jpg

Jack42
Thank You is there a way to reset this fail safe mode?I change the cht sensor cleared all road test fail safe came back?No codes

Hj72
Looking through a few LS forums, it looks like those have alot of problems with ignition coils causing misfires, but not always setting the check engine light. You may have another problem causing the failsafe mode

Jack42