INTERMITTANT STARTING

Kia Other

Hello my 2000 Kia sportage all of a sudden developed a problem. It has 69,500 miles on it and it runs fine shakes slightly when running however, the past week or so, it would start, idle for about 10 sec and then stall. When I go to start it, it cranks fast but won't start. It will only start after I crank it for a while. Then it runs. I'm not sure if it will do anything, but I was going to replace the plugs, wires, fuel filter and air filter.I already replaced the PCV Valve. I'm the 2nd owner and have never given it a full tune up yet. Any ideas if this might work? I was told that maybe I have water in the fuel, but I'm not to convinced. Please help so I can get rid of this thing and buy a Honda. Thank you for your time. Also is there anything else I should do for the tune up?
J.P.

Looks at the plugs for a rich condition

Jack42
Hello it's JP again. I gave the Kia a tune up. Fuel filter, Plugs & wires, air filter and engine oil. It started on a dime. Ran smooth and everything. When I woke up this morning to goto work, it started in one shot, ran for about a minute and then it stalled. When I went to go and start it again, it wouldn't start. I then pump the gas pedal about 3-4 times and then it started. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence but it worked.4 hours later I go and try to start but it won't stay running. Any ideas? Fuel pump relay maybe? Fuel pump? Is it the 15AMP relay located under the hood's fuse box?

J.P.
You can try the relay (they're really cheap) and also you can check the ground wires at the fuel pump cover lid located under your rear seat and has a material pull back cover.
Also you should check to see if you have any trouble codes in the computer, this will help greatly in locating the problem if you have a code stored.
And by the way after woring for Honda for a very long time and now for Kia you wouldn't be " upgrading" very much if you compare the two nowadays!

Cody-ody