REAR CLUNKING NOISE FROM DIFF WHEN TURNING

1995 Jeep YJ

Noises problem
1995 Jeep YJ 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

I have a 1995 Wrangler Rio Grande. I have a 2 1/2inch suspension lift. I have made sure that the torque bar from the rear axle drivers to the pasanger body is tight and I checked all suspension bolts to. It will only make the noise when I am going slow and turning. While it is parked with the emergency brake off. I can push the rear of the jeep from side to side and I hear this clunking noise like it is comming from inside the wheel area. Is this signs of my rear diff going out? I will not make this noise driving. Only slow turning while backing up and moving forward.

Thank you
DWJII

I know you said you checked the tracking bar but please check again. Slide under with a creeper and have someone else shake the vehicle. Make sure you watch the bushings real close. The bolts can all be reall tight but the bushing will allow play and therefore a clunk I have seen this many many times. Also on a 2.5 inch lift you can get by without raising the tracking bar mount but sometimes some kits come with a bolt on mount. It bolts to the axle end and raises the tracking bar. Make sure this is tight also. On a side to side push on the body there is only a few things that can move. Get some help and get under it and I am sure you will find it. Please let me know if I helped and thanks. Curt

Mechcurt
We checked under the rear of the jeep and did notice that it was comming from the axle area. It almost sounds like the axle is moving in and out just enough to make a clunking noise like it is coming through the brake drum area. This sound is not really loud and it will do it every once in awhile while going slow and turning lile into a driveway or parking spot. Could it be play in the rear axle from wear? The jeep drives fine with no noise from the rear end even going over bumps it does not make any noise that I can hear over the road, tire, muffler and soft top noise.

DWJII
Hmm, if your sure it is coming from the axle area it could be an outer axle bearing. They ride right in the outer end of the axle housing. You have to pull the tire, hub and axle shaft to inspect them but it could not hurt. Let me know what you find out. Curt

Mechcurt
Well I found the problem to the noise, I removed the rear track bar since it really is not needed on a YJ with leaf springs. I also replaced the bushings in the front Track Bar which I kept on the jeep. I tried driving without the front Track Bar and found that my jeep would steer with a mind of its own and god help me when I hit a good size bump ( about ran me off the road) With the front Track Bar and new bushings on it the Jeep drives great and no clunking.

Thank you for the info

Wayne

DWJII